Thursday, October 14, 2010

The World Rejoices

Riveted....that's what I was for most of the day yesterday.  I did leave the house for a few hours to do some errands and meet a friend for lunch.

But when I was home, the television was on and I prayed throughout the day for the 33 Chilean miners as they were being rescued.

And when the last of the six rescuers finally left the mine (after he waved and bowed to the camera that was underground), I actually was the most nervous that I had been all day.  So I kept on praying until the very end.

Shortly after midnight last night (Eastern time), I updated my Facebook status to the following:

As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over 'til it's over." I can go to sleep now that the last rescue worker has surfaced.

Lew and I were just talking about how this whole thing has been a miracle from start to finish -- even since the initial collapse, when all of the miners happened to be eating lunch in an area of the mine where they could survive.

I heard that around 1.2 billion people watched the rescue at some point yesterday.  Please don't quote me on the actual number (!); the point is that a LOT of people witnessed what was truly a miracle.
 
A miracle.
 
¡Gracias Señor! (Thank you, Lord!)

No comments: