Sunday, October 31, 2010

It's Halloween! BOO!!

Trick or Treat!
Smell my feet!
Give me something good to eat!

The most trick-or-treaters I ever had was when I lived on Main Street in Sterling, Kansas (mid-1990's).  I believe that I had between 110 and 120 kids.  Some of these "kids" were college students, but I counted them anyway because they wore costumes and I did give them some candy.

I didn't want to keep a manual count that night, so I came up with a counting mechanism.  I purchased those little lollipops that are packaged in a long strip.  I counted the lollipops ahead of time, and then I gave one lollipop to each trick-or-treater (in addition to the candy that I really wanted to give out).  And, voila!  At the end of the night, I just had to count the remaining lollipops to determine how many kids had come knocking at my door.  (Brilliant, I know.)

When Lew and I lived in Portland, we experienced a decreasing trick-or-treating crowd as the neighborhood kids got older.  Still, I think we had at least 40 the last Halloween that we lived there.

And the number of trick-or-treaters we received tonight?  Take your pick:

Zero.
Nada.
Zilch.
None.

But this was expected.  We purchased one bag of candy -- little boxes of Junior Mints -- and I had to practically force Zack to take some this afternoon when he, Debbie, and Glen stopped by the house for a completely different reason.  (I gave them some for Josh, too.)

My parents purchased four bags of candy.  I will probably end up eating most of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I purchased 4 bags of candy, stuffed about 40 bags and had only 3 trick-or-treaters. Next year the plan will be to buy one bag of chocolate, pull the blinds, turn out all the lights and hide in the family room until we have demolished the bag of candy ourselves!! I figure we are going to eat it all anyways, so we might as well get it over with. I have sat with my basket of candy waiting for the doorbell to ring for the last time! Wow, I really do sound pathetic.