Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Deserted Island: Books (Non-Fiction)

If you haven't read the Introduction to my Deserted Island posts yet, be sure to do so!

I'm going to allow myself 10 books -- 5 non-fiction and 5 fiction.  (It's my blog, remember!)  I'll list my non-fiction choices tonight and will save the fiction for another post.

My 5 non-fiction books all happen to have a spiritual element.  But if I'm stuck on a deserted island, that's the type of book I would want.

The Holy Bible.  No brainer.  I've already stated in an earlier post that the Bible is my favorite book.  (And I'm only counting it as one book for this exercise, even though there are 66 books within it.)  I'd probably want my NIV Study Bible.

A really good Hymn book.  By "good" I mean that it must contain all of the great, old standard Hymns of the church.  I have several Hymn books, but have yet to decide which one is the best.

Streams in the Desert.  This is a devotional book compiled by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman -- she compiled thoughts, quotations, and spiritual writings that encouraged her during her years of missionary work in Japan and China.  The first edition of this book came out in 1925.  (If you're looking for a daily devotional book, I highly recommend this one to you!)

American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster, 1828.  This is an old dictionary that is written from a Biblical, Christian worldview.  I thought it would be fun to have a book like this to learn from while awaiting rescue.  (And....no...our copy of this book is not from 1828!  It's a facsimile edition which we purchased through Amazon.com.)

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.  I read this once many years ago, and I'd like to read it again.  (I should have plenty of time on the island.)  What I remember most about my initial reading was my own reaction to it, which was, "How come I didn't think of that?!"  Great, great book.

And that's a wrap!

No comments: