Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chronologically Reading

I read through the Bible each year.  Last year I used The Message, which is a contemporary language translation by Eugene H. Peterson.

This year I am reading the New International Version (NIV).  But instead of reading it in the "regular" order, I am reading it chronologically.  I have never approached my yearly Bible reading this way.  The idea intrigues me, and I decided a couple months ago that I would do this for 2011.  So, I purchased The One Year Chronological Bible and I am now two days into it.

For my devotional time with Lew, I am selecting a passage to share from my daily reading.  Yesterday I shared Genesis chapter 3, which is when Adam and Eve sin.  Although we did have a serious discussion, Lew and I also shared a couple chuckles:

--  Earlier in the day Lew had been pondering what to eat, and I suggested an apple.  He reminded me of this during our devotional time!

--  My written comment (which I read aloud to Lew):  "Genesis chapter 3....The first documented account of a man listening to his wife does not end well!"

Lew and I are very thankful for God's Word.  If you are not in the habit of reading through the Bible each year, I encourage you to try it in 2011.  It's definitely not too late to start!  And it is so worth it.

No comments: