Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dad: Unedited XXVII

(It was fun to have a little trip away for a few days, but it's especially nice to be home.  Apparently we missed some excitement as Dad plowed the yard out.  Enjoy his post....a day late!  -- Tracy)

Derf here!  From the Blizzard-bound Northeast!

The weathermen were correct.  We received a good snowstorm.  The wind blew.  The snow was blowing and drifting in blizzard-like conditions.

If the storm was a day earlier we would have missed a seventh-grade band concert, which Josh was part of playing trumpet (a man after my own heart).

Tracy and Lew will be home from Avon, CT a day late due to the storm so I'm posting a day late.  According to reports they received close to 30 inches of snow.  We received about 12-14 inches with 'white out' conditions.

I did hear from sister Deb about our ride in the Studebaker to the top of the snowbank after passing through the snowdrift failed.  She reminded me that she told me not to do it and, to this day, she doesn't like to ride in snow unless she is driving.  I didn't realize I made that much of an impression on her.

I didn't need to call 'Bapa Bob' to plow me out today as I have my truck.  I still haven't received the bill but I'm considering a bank loan to pay for it.

I got my yard (lawn) plowed today and also got stuck.  I went a little too far on my lawn plowing and could not back up as I have no weight in the back of the truck.  Luckily another plow truck pulled into my yard.  He told me he thought he saw me shoveling (which did no good) and returned to help me out.  I did not know him.  He told me he lived across the street down the road.  A chain (his) from his plow to my trailer hitch did the trick in short order.  After this I was careful to not put myself in that position again.  I thanked him but didn't offer a 'ten spot.'  I should have!  Not good on my part.  He also told me he had been stuck in his yard before.  A fine neighbor indeed!

Enough rambling so I'll close with "Go Pats."  I do not like the Jets.  Very close to hate!

Until next time.

Toodle Pip!  Derf.

P.S.  Perhaps you've seen the promo on TV that says one in three over age 65 will fall this year.  Well, while shoveling to get my truck unstuck I became a 'one in three.'  I got up quickly and proceeded to hook up the chain.  Perhaps more embarrassed because a neighbor saw my miscue.  No harm, no foul!

No comments: