Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dad: Unedited XXIX

(Dad asked me to add a photo of some campaign buttons at the end of this post.  So I pinned the buttons to a piece of paper.  I then put the entire thing into a plastic sandwich bag, as I did not want to damage the glass on my printer/scanner.  I scanned the buttons as a photo.  And -- thanks to the magic of Picnik.com -- I was able to edit the photo so that it actually looks pretty good.  Also, I must say that I hope the statute of limitations has run out on my father's delinquent driving.  Times sure have changed.  Enjoy Dad's post!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  Another week -- Another storm!  Please turn off the snow machines!

Another storm coming tonight -- hoping for a miss!

Josh's team wins again (shutout)!

Yippie!! Jets LOOOOOOSE!!

Back to Earth now.

The year was 1952.  I was 14 years old.  It was fall.  Dwight D. Eisenhower (Ike) was running for president with Richard M. Nixon as his choice for VEEP.  Ike's opponent was Adlai E. Stevenson.

The candidates were crossing the country drumming up support.  Richard M. Nixon's itinerary had a date in my hometown of Sanford, Maine.  An elaborate parade was planned to get Mr. Nixon from the airport to the Memorial Gymnasium where the rally was to be held.

Dad was a fairly well-known Republican and also owned a fairly nice Cadillac (Fleetwood) at the time.  He would be picking up some staff members at the airport and be part of the parade.  Also joining the parade through town would be our 1939 Bantam Roadster.  I do not remember who drove the Bantam, but it was not me.  I was not old enough to be a licensed driver.

The "Event" (rally) took place and now the Bantam must be returned to our home.  This was a trip of about one-half mile on Main Street.  I remember driving the car home, but I don't recall how the original driver disappeared.  I was more than happy to drive it home.  This trip started me on a series of driving around with no license (mostly motorcycles).

Dad still had to take two "press staffers" back to the airport.  I was able to ride to the airport with Dad (even though I was kind of "grubbily" dressed).  When we arrived at the airport the very friendly "press staffers" asked me if I wanted to come inside the plane.  I readily accepted the invitation.  This was the first time I had been in an airplane.  This was not the highlight of my evening, however.

The highlight was as follows.  Upon entering the plane, I met the future Vice President of these great United States.  Mr. Nixon would persevere and eventually become President.  He was very gracious to grubby ol' me and asked if I would like to see the cockpit.  I accepted and was introduced to the pilots.  I shook hands before he wished me well as I left the plane.  I will never forget the graciousness of such an important person in the history of the United States to a 14-year-old boy.  He called me by name!!

From that point on I followed Mr. Nixon's political future as he finally made it to be President.  I recall the 1960 election when JFK won, but a vast number of people suggested Mr. Nixon won the debate but was not elected because of JFK's looks and family name (among other things).  Hmmmm....

As most of you know, Mr. Nixon resigned in the early 1970's due to "Watergate."  I believe he was a very smart man who was a good president but tried to cover up a serious "breach of ethics" by his underlings.  I'm sorry for his involvement in the cover up.  He resigned and this probably led to the election in 1976 of Jimmy Carter, as President Ford pardoned Mr. Nixon.

Mom was not happy with my attire that evening, but it was a night I'll never forget.

Until next time.

Toodle Pip!  Derf!

1 comment:

Sister Jean said...

I remember this evening well. What an exciting time for us comparing notes as I too shook Mr. Nixon's hand after the rally at the Sanford gym where Grammy Gowen had taken me. Not quite as exciting as being on the plane but a very memorable evening. Thanks for recalling it and all the other special times you share each week. Nice blogs, Derf!