Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dad: Unedited XXVI

(I don't like driving in the snow, so I have never intentionally attempted what my father describes below.  I wonder if my Aunt Debbie has a different recollection of what happened that day....Hmmmm.....Enjoy!  -- Tracy)

Derf here!  On a sunny 'shorts wearing day' in January from the great State of Maine (which now has a new down-to-earth governor as of about 5 minutes ago)....

In the saga of my 'plow truck' -- It has returned and ready to go when the next storm arrives (perhaps as early as Saturday.)  Let it come!  I'm ready!  I still feel pretty good as I have yet to receive the cost of repair.

A short time ago I wrote the story of travelling with Dad to Massachusetts and retrieving stuff from sister Jean's apartment.  I will now relate another story about me and the Studebaker 'hand-painted' truck.

It was mid-winter and for some reason (which I don't remember) sister Deb and I were headed for Grammy and Grandpa's farm.  As we turned from Route 202 on to Grammar Road I noticed a nice snowdrift further down the road.  Well I decided to go through the drift.  So naturally, I pushed the accelerator towards the floor.  Our speed increased and into the snowdrift we sped.  The results were not what I expected.  We hit the drift with good speed.  The drift won the battle.  The truck lurched to the right and we ended up on top of the snowbank.

I can't recall what sister Deb said about my experiment, and perhaps if I could remember I wouldn't dare print it.

Fortunately, we were very close to our grandparents' house so I had a solution to our problem.  We proceeded to walk to Grammy's house (I'm sure all the while listening to Deb's comments about my choice of challenging the snowdrift).

Upon arriving at the farm I proceeded to hop on Dad's 'Farmall H' tractor.  Back to the truck we went -- pulled it from its perch about 3 or 4 feet above the roadway.  Problem solved.  I never challenged another snowdrift to this day (some 50 plus years later).

The score for the day:  Snowdrift won -- I lost -- Farmall won.

I hope sister Deb remembers this event.  I probably added a little to the event to make it more interesting.  I hope not too much!

Until next time;

Toodle Pip!  Derf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2nd post attempt!!!! I remember that snowbank very well. I begged you not to drive into it, but I think you just wanted to show off!! Needless to say I was scared to death and to this day do not like to ride with someone else driving in snow. I can still see that snowbank coming at us!! Will NEVER forget it!!
Your sister Deb.