Thursday, August 11, 2011

Go Ahead... Take My Pizza

I learned tonight that my cousin Wendy has been quite concerned for our Aunt Debbie. You see, Aunt Debbie had not eaten any Pier Fries yet this summer.

Until tonight.

Yes, Wendy! Aunt Debbie went for Pie and Fry with us!

Lew and I picked up Aunt Debbie at her cottage and then drove the few blocks to downtown OOB. The parking spot we found had 54 minutes left on the meter. Hooray! You only get 7 and 1/2 minutes for each quarter, so we felt like we had hit the jackpot.

We each got a slice of pepperoni pizza at Bill's Pizza and decided to walk toward the pier. As we were walking by the water fountain, I took a bite of my pizza. And then my pizza was gone...

For the second OOB trip in a row, I was attacked by a pizza-stealing seagull.

That thieving seagull grabbed my pizza right out of my mouth!

I was holding the end of the slice in my right hand, but I wasn't able to hold on. I was much too startled, and I must say that this incident had a sense of "scary" that last week's incident did not. The seagull was right in my face.

Aunt Debbie and Lew could both "feel" the seagulls swooping in. Aunt Debbie's slice was still on her plate, so she was able to fold her plate right over her pizza. And they never really went for Lew's, although he could feel feathers on the back of his head.

I have always known that seagulls are aggressive when it comes to food. (Do you recall the "mine, mine" chant by the seagulls in the movie Finding Nemo?  That is right on!) But I have never known them to be like what I have experienced over the last couple weeks.

I think that I am going to add Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds to our Netflix queue.

And I am going to stay away from the water fountain.  Especially with pizza.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tracy for helping Aunt Debbie finally
get her pier french fries. I was so glad. I hope she had one for me too. That was awful about the seagull taking your pizza again. They must be very bad this summer. Be very careful next time. Your Cousin, Wendy

Tracy said...

Thank you, Wendy. I will take great care with my next slice of pizza!