Thursday, August 18, 2011

$1,692.59

A month ago today, I spent at least 45 minutes on the phone with the "Customer Relations Center" of a certain automobile company.  Today I spent another 30 minutes.

Why?

I believe that the company is responsible for our vehicle repair.  The vehicle is no longer under warranty, but the part that "went" should have lasted much, much longer than it did.

We took the vehicle to one of the manufacturer's "authorized service centers" for the repair.  The subsequent sequence of events:
  1. Service center takes the engine apart.
  2. Service center sends the faulty part to machine shop for machining.
  3. Machine shop sends part back to service center.
  4. Service center puts car back together.  (Two weeks have now gone by.)
  5. We pick the car up, but vehicle is misbehaving within 10 miles of our driving it.
  6. We take vehicle back to service center the next day.
  7. Service center takes the engine apart.
  8. Service center sends the faulty part back to the machine shop.
  9. The machine shop says there is nothing wrong with the part.
  10. Service center sends the faulty part to another machine shop for a "second opinion."
  11. Second machine shop determines that additional machining must be done.
  12. They do it.
  13. Second machine shop sends part back to service center.
  14. Service center puts car back together.  (Another two weeks have now gone by.)
  15. Service center starts the car and allows the engine to reach a certain temperature.
  16. The vehicle still misbehaves.
  17. The frustrated service manager makes a management decision and orders a brand new part (and has it overnighted).
  18. The service center receives the brand new part.
  19. The service center finally is able to successfully repair the vehicle.
  20. We take possession of our vehicle.

The service manager agrees that the automobile manufacturer should cover this repair.  In fact, he is attempting to get some compensation from them, too.  His shop took apart the car two additional times at no cost to us.  And he couldn't charge us for the new part -- which was over $800, by the way.

I learned today that our "case is closed" as far as the Customer Relations Center is concerned.  There is no policy nor program in place by which they can assist us.  (Huh?)  They decided this a month ago.

But, I asked, doesn't this new information at least warrant them revisiting the issue?

-- Nope.  There's no way to "reopen the case" nor "open a new one."  The reason we brought the car in did not change, so "that's that" as far as they are concerned.

Ummm... the part was defective.  Isn't this aberration something that they could at least look into further?

-- Nope.  The "case is closed."

And to whom do I appeal this decision?

-- I can't.  I am told that the only thing I can do at this point is write a letter to the company.  (Gee, I wonder how effective that will be?)

Still, I will write that letter.  I will send it to the attention of the company's CEO.  I will suggest to him some needed improvements in his customer service policies and procedures.  I will suggest to him that he should stand by his company's product.  And I will generously offer him these suggestions at no cost to his company.

I will also enclose an auto repair invoice of $1,692.59.

I will accept a company check.

No comments: