Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Field Trip

For those of you expecting a post from my father, please rest assured that Derf will be sharing on "Mainely Tracy" tomorrow!

We decided to postpone Derf because Dad, Lew, and I went on an outing today.  Dad had arranged for the three of us to go see my cousin Robert at the Maine State Prison (MSP).

Most people reading this already know that Robert gets to go home at night!  He works there and is the head honcho of that facility's popular Prison Industries Program.

Robert gave us a tour of the wing where the program takes place.  At MSP they do upholstery and engraving, but the largest area by far is the wood shop.   I had heard of this program, but I had no idea of its extent until I saw it with my own eyes.  The inmates that participate in this program do incredible and beautiful work.  Some of the projects are quite intricate.

It was especially nice to see my cousin "on the job."  Dad, Lew, and I have a much greater appreciation for what he does!

After our tour, we drove to the Showroom store where the completed items are sold.  We had just seen the works in progress, so it was fun to see the final products.

We ate at Moody's Diner on our way home.  I had a piece of Strawberry Rhubarb pie for dessert.  :)

No comments: