Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dad 56: Seagull Story; Gardening Greatness

(As promised, here's Dad's weekly post -- but on Thursday, not the usual Wednesday.  Enjoy!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  A day late and a dollar short from the great Northeast!  We hit 60 degrees during the night.  We're enjoying great summer temperatures.  Haven't used A/C for a couple weeks.

Mainely Tracy's post yesterday reminded me of a trip to Illinois.  It involves another seagull.  Tracy's close encounter was different from Kim's.  Upon our exit from an eatery a seagull flew overhead.  It was time to unload previously-eaten food.  Obviously the gull took aim and let it fly.  Plunk on Kim.  We can all laugh about it now.  At the time cleanup was necessary.  At least we know it wasn't the pizza stolen from Tracy that landed on Kim.  This probably landed on someone walking around Old Orchard Beach last night.  Better them than me.

An update on baseball.  The team (Yarmouth) that beat Josh's team (3-1) went on to win the State playoffs and will be in the New England tournament, from which the winner will proceed to the Williamsport (PA) Little League World Series.  I will watch them on ESPN on August 9th at 10:00 a.m.  I wish them well.

Cocoa and the Henrys are back in Illinois.  Cocoa had a haircut and Kelsey is participating in band camp this week and is now the Head Drum Major.  Congratulations, Kelsey!

Last night sister Deb and I attended a show by Sandi Patty.  It was at the Old Orchard Beach Pavilion.  The Salvation Army is having its summer meetings this week and the Pavilion was almost filled.  It was the largest group I've seen at the Pavilion.  I would guess 90% - 95% seats filled.  It was good to see it like that as usually it is about one-third capacity.  I hope Ernie Haase and Signature Sound have as good a crowd.  I doubt it, but time will tell.  (Friday, August 12 at 6:00 p.m.)

The family is getting ready for two weddings in the next couple months.  We're planning to attend both.  Missy (Robert and Carrie's daughter) will be married at the end of the month.  Heidi (Gordon and Kathy's daughter) will be married October 1, 2011 out in Indianapolis, IN.  Looking forward to both.  Robert and Kathy are offspring of sister Jean and our late brother-in-law Pastor Bob.  So that makes us uncle and aunt to the brides.  Of course it is actually "great"-uncle and "great"-aunt.  Great meaning "old" not "exceptional!"

This spring I bought some Topsy-Turvy planters as seen on TV for some vegetable plants.  Upon completing my planting the engineering feat collapsed on me and I tried to salvage my plants.  Half lived but did not produce any product.  I trashed them and will try again next year.  I did, however, have two tomato plants in pots.  One pot was run over by daughter Deb but I managed to salvage the other plant.  I dug two holes in our well-manicured lawn and transplanted the plants.  Suffice it to say that one plant was almost totally destroyed by Zack as he showed his incompetency of driving his "race car."  We had a show of driving skills (remote controls) one night by family members and inattention was a factor in the crash.  Actually quite humorous!  The plant still has a few small tomatoes we look forward to eating.  The second plant also has some larger tomatoes on it.

At planting time I had a few cukes, summer squash, and zucchini plants left over and I couldn't just throw them out.  I bought some garden loam and dug a little in the front of the house.  Instead of flowers, we have a very productive vegetable garden on our front lawn.  Spouse has been harvesting squash and cukes daily.  I am going to expand the plot next summer.  The plot thickens!  Ha ha!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

The vegetable garden in front of the house

No comments: