Sunday, February 20, 2011

Would I Lie to You???

Every Sunday, Lew and I are dashing out the door to get to church on time. We're supposed to be there a little early to rehearse the choir song. Sometimes we make it for that rehearsal. Sometimes we don't. But at least we're there in time for church.

We really have no excuse for this. We know that we should get up a little earlier. But even when we do get up earlier than normal, we still seem to "time out" when we're getting ready.

For a few weeks, Lew was making scrambled eggs for our breakfast. He stopped doing that, because I suggested it would take some of the heat off of the Sunday morning rush.

It hasn't. The heat is still there.

This morning was no different. Lew was pretending to cry because he didn't know what he was going to wear, and we needed to leave five minutes ago. He grabbed a very nice shirt, lamented that he didn't have time to iron it, and put it on.

He then said to me, "I would ask you if this needs to be ironed, but I know that you will lie."

I believe there are two factors that contributed to this comment:

1) He knew that I was anxious about leaving for church. We now needed to leave ten minutes ago. No time to iron.

2) OK, I admit it. I HATE ironing. I am very forgiving of a few wrinkles. If everyone agreed to NEVER iron, the world would be a much happier place.

I would like to state publicly, here on my blog, that Lew's shirt looked fine. It did not need ironing.

But he's right. Even if I knew that he would think it needed ironing, I would have said it was fine. I'm still trying to determine if that would have been a lie. But just in case, I am going to instruct him to never ask me an ironing question again.  (Smile!)

(Postscript: For the record, I do iron on rare occasions. I am not very skilled at it, however.  One time I ironed a skirt. My mother, not able to tell that I had already ironed it, went ahead and ironed it a second time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree the world would be a better place if no ironed. Maybe it is in our genes because when I finish ironing something it does not look like I ironed it. I blame it on the iron. I just learned at work that the people who have perfectly ironed clothes send them to the dry cleaners to have them pressed.

Cousin Kathy