Friday, February 4, 2011

It's a Start

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single line."
--  Lew

I just asked my husband what I should blog about tonight.  He's emptying the jammed-up ice maker while I sit at the dining room table, working on my laptop.

In response to my question, he looked at me and replied, "Didn't you tell me that you started your novel?  You can use my line!"

Said "line" is at the beginning of this post.

I had recently started writing a novel, but my initial attempt puttered out pretty quickly.  The ideas weren't really making their way onto the paper.  So, I took a break.  (Great start, huh?!)

Today, I made some decisions:  I want my novel to have a light and humorous feel, and I think I can best achieve that by writing in the first person.  I also decided on the name of the character who is telling the story.  (And, no!  I'm not telling anyone that name yet!)  I even think I know how the novel is going to end -- in fact, I'm going to write the ending next.

I wrote the very beginning of the novel today...about 320 words.

Now that's progress!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good JOB!!!!! I'm writing study guides for ESL students. I dislike writing study guides with all of my heart! Why didn't I choose books with study guides available for PURCHASE even?!?!?!?