Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Life Marathon

I have a few church friends that actually enjoy running and participating in 5K's, triathlons, and other contests of physical endurance.  I often ask them if they are crazy!  But in reality I admire their accomplishments.

I have had very brief moments when I've contemplated running a marathon.  The most recent of these "moments" was about 20 years ago... so, yes, it's been a while.  I knew that in order to run a marathon, I needed to train.  But I think the furthest distance I ever ran was about three miles.  My knees began to hurt.  And I realized that I hated running.  So I stopped training (I use the term "training" very loosely).

I am impressed by the determination, commitment, perseverance, dedication, and discipline that is required to complete a marathon.  (I can think of many more qualities, but I think you get the point.)  This same type of effort is needed for our daily living, I think.  So even though you won't see me running in the women's marathon at the Olympics, you can try to picture me running my "life" race.

I run better on some days than on others, so I'm glad that life is more like a marathon than a sprint.  And I am blessed with a great Trainer who has given me the best Manual!

No comments: