Friday, October 14, 2011

The All-Weather Walk

Weather (and schedules) permitting, I walk with my friend Ellen on Wednesday and Friday mornings at 8:30.  We always text message each other to confirm.

Ellen texted first today.  "Should we try it?"

I responded, "I'm game if you are!"

Ellen's "try" question referred to the fact that it had been raining.  Before I got back to her, I looked out the window and saw that the rain had stopped.

When I left my house, I was pleasantly surprised by how warm and comfortable it was outside -- although I did have to put my hood up because water was dripping off of the trees.  When Ellen and I met up at the corner, we chatted a bit about the nice weather.

During our walk, Ellen got warm enough at one point to remove her jacket.

As we were nearing the end of our walk, we were both holding our jackets tighter around us to keep warm.  We couldn't tell if it was raining or not.  Our eyeglasses were getting droplets on them, but that could have been from the wind whipping the earlier raindrops off of the trees.

Our walking route takes us past Ellen's house twice.  She heads inside the second time and I continue walking home.  When we reached this point today, I still couldn't tell if it was raining or not.

By the time I got home, it was warm and comfortable again -- just like it was when I started out.

That's Maine weather for you!

No comments: