Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dad 65: Derf from Illinois - Week 2 - Heidi's Wedding

(I think this is one of Dad's best posts.  Enjoy!  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!

From the great City of Eureka, Illinois. Home of Eureka College (Ronald Reagan’s Alma Mater). Where son-in-law Joe is a professor of music.

Last week I mentioned dropping off the RV for a little tune up. Well, it wasn’t a tune up after all. The vehicle had acted up and from my vast experience with automobiles I thought it needed a simple tune up. However, the experts found a burned out wire resting on the exhaust manifold. I’m not sure if this happened when I changed batteries or not. But, shifting in reverse caused the RV to stall as the wire would ground (with sparks). I was told by the technician we could have caught fire. That would have been a “hot” ending! Was repaired in time to travel to Heidi’s wedding. Hooray!

Spouse, Kim and I traveled to Greenwood, Indiana to attend the wedding in Indianapolis. We arrived early Saturday and were driven about the city by sister Deb. She had been around Indy for a couple weeks and knew the area. The wedding was in a church that reminded me of many of the Maine churches that we used to sing in. It was a neat building. The wedding went well with a beautiful bride. Chris Williams and Heidi Morrow are a fine-looking couple.


Then to the reception held at the Indiana Museum in Indianapolis. The room had been made smaller by the addition of a big red tractor. It was in front of a mural depicting farming. The museum put a large curtain surrounding the tractor. The first thing I did upon arrival was to peek behind the curtain. To my surprise the tractor was a Farmall H. My dad bought the same type tractor in 1948 with a bucket to plow and clean up after snowstorms. I grew up on the tractor and was quite experienced in using the machine at around 12 years of age.


The night went well and it was good to see our Indianapolis family (niece Kathy and Gordon; sister Jean and niece Wendy – the family prayer warrior). Also, good to see niece Heather, husband Greg and children, Lydia and Isaac. Hello to fellow Mainers, nephew Robert and wife Carrie. The evening ended for us as the DJ played my request – Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock and Roll.” I couldn’t just let this pass, so I casually walked to the DJ, asked for a microphone and joined in on the words I knew in the song. I’ve sung better, but enjoyed the performance. Sister Deb got us safely back to the Holiday Inn after a detour. The city was swarming with police officers. Did we feel safe? No, but we reached the hotel with no problems.

You would think that the story of the evening would end here. But it doesn’t! It seems that the bed I shared with Spouse was not properly aligned. The mattress was not centered on the box spring -- after the incident I noticed the mattress was at least 12 inches hanging over the spring. So... later that evening (actually early morning) I was forced off the safe part of the bed to the one foot overhang. Can you guess what happened? I tumbled off the bed. I immediately jumped back in bed. A few minutes later Spouse and Kim asked me if I was OK. I would have been sleeping by the time they asked except for the commotion in the halls and lobby. It seems that my crash had caused a major stir in the hotel. The guests wondered where the earthquake had taken place. Finally, everything was back to normal and all guests went to their rooms relieved that a natural disaster had been averted. While enjoying our breakfast the next morning Robert asked, “Did you fall all the way to the floor?” I assured him that I did. Shortly after a scrumptious breakfast the three of us returned to Eureka. A good time was had by all.

Now we are back watching the baseball playoffs and rooting for the Patriots. Daughter Deb has kept us up to date on Josh and Zack’s football games. Josh is still looking for his first win. Zack, playing for the 6th graders, lost. His 5th grade team won 6 - 0. It seems that the other team’s parents thought Zack should not be eligible to play because he was too large. Zack enjoyed the attention and the win. "Double Zero" remains unfazed.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

P.S. Congratulations to the Texas Rangers for making the championship series. Now waiting for the Tigers, Brewers and Phillies to join the Rangers.

2 comments:

Derf said...

You need to take a typing class - Kimberly Henry.

Derf knows who this is! said...

Short (TRUE VERSION) of the story! Spouse did not push him and the bed was hanging over only about 2 inches!! He just ---- FELL OUT OF THE BED!! However, it did feel like an earthquake, a very LARGE earthquake!!