Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dad 66: Derf from Illinois - Week 3

(Ahhh... another week of "copy and paste" for me.  Me li-kee!  Enjoy Dad's post.  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!

From the Midwest again. I’ve got one more post from here before returning home to Maine if all goes well. The weather is still summer like but is supposed to turn back to fall tomorrow. However, my personal weather girl (Kelsey) assured me that tomorrow will also be summer like. Who am I to doubt her?

I’ve been told that summer season is officially over in Scarborough. The “Dairy Corner” is closed and the “Pizza and Pier Fries” are closed for hibernation. How can we survive? Good Grief!

Kelsey slept on the family room couch last night. When I asked her why – she responded: “I couldn’t find my bed.” She cleaned her room today and it was still there (the bed!). She is serenading me now at the piano. Really, quite good!

Kim went to grill the other day but was cut short as the grill was out of gas. I got in Joe’s truck to go to the store and the gas gauge was below empty. Is there a pattern here? Kim and I went grocery shopping and when returning home she finally looked at her car’s fuel gauge. Would you care to guess? It was below empty. The fumes carried us to the local station for a fill-up. I really didn’t want to call AAA! We did fill the tank for the grill while grocery shopping, so all fuel is well at this time.

When checking out at Wal-Mart, Kim and I had separate carts. Kim proceeded first. She grabbed a bag filled with full cardboard milk cartons. They were suddenly empty as the bag broke and they met up with the floor. I didn’t know that a gallon of milk could float a canoe. As of that incident, I now know a lot of liquid is in those containers. The employees were very cooperative and even went and got Kim two more cartons. Some people you just don’t want to be seen in public with. You be the judge! You guessed correctly!

Kaelen had a scheduled eye appointment after the high school homecoming parade! They still throw candy during the parade and Kim knew most of the participants. We received just less than one half bushel of sweets. Then I decided to ride into Peoria for Kaelen’s eye exam. Upon arrival, I told them I would stay in the car. I was in the backseat – window open and ready to watch the people. Kim locked me in the car and off they went. Well, after 15 – 20 minutes I thought I’d get out and walk around the parking lot. Upon my pulling the door handle, I unleashed the car alarm. I reached out to open the door from the outside with no success. I want to tell you that horn is LOUD! I checked again with the inside handle and was freed. I proceeded sheepishly into the office, found Kim, returned outside and shut the alarm off. I remained in the backseat motionless the rest of the time. I did take an occasional breath!

Debbie hasn’t mentioned Josh and Zack’s football so I know nothing about their success or lack thereof.

We did watch the Colts/Chiefs game. I must confess to niece Kathy that I rooted for the Chiefs. Reason – Number “96” on the Chiefs is Andy Studebaker. He is from Eureka High School and his family attends Kim and Joe’s church. I know his father, who was present at the game. I only root against the Colts for the Patriots and Chiefs. It was good to see Peyton at the game on the sidelines. I hope he continues to mend. I don’t want him to end his career this way. Faith tells me he will return. We all are waiting.

Our highlight of the week was attending the Eureka High School football game. Not for football, but to see our star Granddaughter, Kelsey, leading the band as head drum major, and also watching her perform, quite admirably I might add, as a competition cheerleader. I am not a lover of cheerleaders, but Kelsey is worth watching with her team. Looking forward to more shows in the next 2 weeks. Bring it on!

Until Next Time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

Cheerleaders Ali and Kelsey


No comments: