Friday, September 10, 2010

Wedding Wheels

Transportation on the day of the wedding proved to be quite amusing.

Matt drove his truck over to our house that day, but he was not planning on taking it to the wedding.  A couple of his groomsmen got dropped off.  I'm not sure how all of the rest got here, but suffice it to say that only one of the groomsmen had a car at our house.

A couple hours before we had to leave, I sauntered over to where Matt was sitting and calmly asked him, "How is everybody getting to the wedding?"  He looked up at me and sweetly replied, "I have no idea."

Enter "Tracy the Organizer."  I asked the groomsman with the car how many he could take:  Four, which included himself.  That left two, and Lew and I could certainly handle that.  So, Lew had the honor of driving his son to his wedding.  The best man rode with us, too.  (Which reminds me -- Why does the bride always cry at her wedding??? --  Because she doesn't get to marry the best man!)

Emily's side of the wedding party rode to the church in a hired limousine.  After they were dropped off, the limo driver had to drive back to his "shop" to get another vehicle for after the wedding.  Reason?  The air conditioning wasn't working!  Poor Emily!  I guess she was slightly uncomfortable.

The entire wedding party was scheduled to ride in the limousine to the reception.  (I guess this is why most of the groomsmen did not have a vehicle.  Their "significant others" were in charge of driving their personal autos that day.)  But, as you may recall, one of the groomsmen did have a vehicle at the church.  How to get said vehicle from church to reception?  Hmmmm...

Enter our pastor.  He had conducted the ceremony, and his wife was also there helping with flowers, etcetera.  They had brought only one vehicle, so I asked if one of them could drive the groomsman's car to the reception.  The answer was, "Of course!"  I now refer to our pastor as the "full service" pastor.  (He also tied the ring bearer's shoes as the wedding party was processing out.)

After the reception, one of the groomsmen came up and asked me if we were driving directly home.  Apparently there were still some outstanding transportation questions.  But they got it all worked out, so Lew and I were able to ride home together...alone!

(Postscript:  In case you're wondering about Matt's truck -- Lew drove it over to Matt's house the day after the wedding.  That's when we also picked up some of the tuxes to return to the rental shop, including the tux with no tie.)

No comments: