Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dad: Unedited XI

(Dad decided to add a little local flavor to his post by spelling a word based on its pronunciation by us Mainers.  Or perhaps I should write "Mai-nahs"....The only time I remember riding in a vehicle driven by my grandfather was....hmmmm....I think a parade, maybe.  Now I know why!  -- Tracy)

Greetings!  Derf here!

It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.
Sorry, wrong story.  Back to reality.

A couple weeks ago I wrote about our 1939 Bantam.  Today I'll relate how the little "cah" was used as a therapeutic vehicle.

My mom had a serious illness in the 1940's.  Being very young at the time, I know not exactly what or when this took place.  I do know that as a result of this illness my mom would not drive our automobile.  Prior to the illness I believe she drove, and I know she was licensed to drive.

My mom was quite smitten with the little "cah" and decided to drive it around.  She drove it regularly and I believe she even drove my sister Deb to school every now and then in the Bantam.

As time went by, Mom eventually started driving the regular-sized vehicles.  In fact, as Mom and Dad aged, she did all the driving for the two of them.  I believe this to be a result of Mom's desire for self-preservation.  Dad had a habit of looking all around as he drove.  The looking at the road was almost an afterthought for Dad.  In fact, Mary Lou did ride to a Revelaires concert once and never again would enter a vehicle if Dad was about to drive.  Once he was entering the Acton Fair Grounds in his 1912 Model "T" fire engine.  His eyes wandered as the vehicle in front of him stopped.  Dad also stopped as his headlight hit something protruding from the other vehicle.  Hence, self-preservation for Mom.

Mom not only drove her "Crown Vic," but would drag anyone of the younger generation as they sat at the stop light.  She drove into her 80's and one week before passing drove to her almost daily muffin retreat with the girls.

Ah, yes, the family believes that the Bantam was certainly A Therapeutic "Cah" in the driving life of my mom.

Until next week,

Toodle Pip!  Derf!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Therapeutic!?!? So....When your leg cramps up from driving with the side of your foot because your knee will not fit under the dash....it is considered therapeutic?