Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dad: Unedited VIII

(So, there may have been a little editing this week!  Dad referred to the stop signs as red lights at one point -- he didn't intend to -- so I fixed it for him.  Otherwise, the following is how he had written it on his now smaller-sized yellow-lined paper.  I DO think that he has mis-characterized the dog.  Enjoy!  -- Tracy)

Sad Greetings from Derf.

Today was a very emotional day in my life. I watched the 1931 Ford "A" leave on a trailer from in front of our garage. I did not watch as it left our driveway. I've been driving the car for 50 years, but it has been used very little in the last few years. I actually drove the car up on the trailer for my last time behind the wheel.

We took a ride last Sunday. Mary Lou and I were in the vehicle while Lew and Tracy rode in the rumble seat. An account of the ride appeared a couple days ago on "Mainely Tracy."

I must defend my driving as she told of two violations of running a stop sign. I was directly behind a car the first time and we both came to a stop and proceeded through the intersection in parade fashion. Not a VIOLATION!!

I will admit the 2nd was actually a violation. I was driving down Union Avenue toward the beach when I decided to tell the other riders about watching cars go down the hill and bottom out on the double train tracks. I'd seen this happen many times as every Sunday morning and vacation days for my Grandpa Gowen we would trudge down Seaview Avenue to Union Avenue -- turn right and cross the tracks to the store for the daily paper and ice cream cone. Oh, how I miss those good old days. In all my years, there was never a stop sign on Union Avenue.  Well, as I started my story a ferocious dog (approximately 150 lbs.) attempted to attack our auto from across the street.  The woman walking the beast was dragged several feet in our direction.  The attack put us all in fear but we survived.  It was scary.

I was in the area yesterday of my violation as my sister Deb was closing her cottage.  She left at 3:00 a.m. today for Indy to visit with sister Jean and her family before returning to Florida for the winter.  I must admit that I checked the Union/Seaview corner and there definitely was a stop sign there.  I blame the ferocious dog for his attention-getting activities.  Guilty!!

Next week I'll tell you about the purchase of our 1939 Bantam by my father (the porcupine killer).

Toodle Pip -- Derf

No comments: