Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dad: Unedited XII

(Dad answers another mystery of life today.  Enjoy! -- Tracy)

Hey Readers!  Derf Here!

Perhaps some of you have noticed I have been signing off with "Toodle Pip -- Derf."  I doubt that anyone has really thought about where I got this expression.  I'm about to tell you -- whether you want to know the origin or not.  So here goes.

In the early to mid-1940's I had an aunt, uncle, and cousin staying at Spruce Lodge Cabins in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.  You may recall OOB being mentioned in my Bantam story.  Cousin Beverly, Uncle Herbert (Chubby), and Aunt Arlene (Dad's sister) Fulton became aware of a cottage next to Spruce Lodge that was available to buy.  Aunt Arlene told Dad and the purchase was made.  More about the cottage in a later blog.

Our family got to stay at OOB every summer and the cottage(s) are still used by the family members every summer as they are now properties of my sisters, Jean and Deb.

Well, Chubby was a very generous uncle and his family moved to another apartment in OOB a short distance from our cottage.  As kids we often strolled over to Chubby's just to say "Hi."  Also there was always a good chance we'd get some money from unc.

Chubby always worked in textiles and was always in a position of authority.  He was kind of an Irish tenor breaking into "Danny Boy" on occasion.  I'm sure we all have fond memories of our visits and hearing Chubby's use of "Toodle Pip" as his good-bye to us.  I hope my sisters can remember this as I don't want to be seen as a fabricator.

Thanks, Chubby, for my "good-bye" term.

Until next time.

Toodle Pip!  Derf.

No comments: