Saturday, April 17, 2010

Roman Numerals

One of the daily devotionals that I read is My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. The edition that I have uses Roman numerals when giving the Scripture reference. So in order to look up the passage in my own Bible, I need to convert the numbers.

This morning I found myself thinking of other ways that we still use Roman numerals. (I lead an exciting life.)

A few examples:

-- The Super Bowl
-- Clock faces
-- Table of Contents / Book sections / Outlines, etc.
-- Crossword puzzles (eg., clue = "Cato's 519")
-- Namesake suffixes (Sr., Jr., III, IV, etc.)
-- Movie sequels

There are probably more, but hopefully this list shows that it is worthwhile to understand the basics of Roman numerals. It is especially important for the movie sequels. As we all know, the higher the Roman numeral, the worse the movie.

So, in order to do my part, I am planning to write a little "primer" for tomorrow's post.

Won't that be fun?!

No comments: