Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mail Call

Last Monday was the Patriots' Day holiday here in Maine (and also in Massachusetts). My parents, Lew, and I all assumed that there was no residential mail delivery. So nobody checked the mail at our home.

On Tuesday morning, I had a piece of mail going out. So before leaving for work, I walked to the end of the driveway to put the envelope in the mailbox. I put the flag up first. (If I don't do that right away, then I forget.) After that I opened the box and saw a bunch of mail.

This actually made sense, when I thought about it. Patriots' Day is not a Federal holiday. Therefore, it's not a postal holiday. (I even checked the USPS website before writing this, just to make sure.)

I brought Monday's mail in to my mother and then I left for work.

After work, I asked if anyone got that day's mail. Dad said that Lew did.

The next morning (Wednesday), I had another piece of mail going out. Walk...flag...open...and more mail again!

Lew told me later that he assumed that one of my parents had brought in the mail because he saw it on the table. But that was Monday's mail that he saw, not Tuesday's.

So I brought Tuesday's mail in and handed it to my mother. Then I was off to work.

I was told when I got home from work on Wednesday that the mail for that day had indeed been retrieved.

The next morning (Thursday), I had another piece of mail going out. Walk...flag...open...empty mailbox!

Victory! Small, yes. But still, a victory.

No comments: