Sunday, April 18, 2010

IVXLCDM

As promised, I am sharing my basic understanding of Roman numerals today. I can sense the excitement already!

The first letters of the words in the sentence below represent the Roman numerals in order. (I got this helpful memory aid several years ago, I think from an "Ask Marilyn" column in Parade Magazine.)

If Victor's X-ray looks clear, don't medicate.

Here's what they stand for in our number system:

I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
L = 50
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000

My somewhat incomplete and inadequate explanation of how to convert to a Roman numeral: Do one digit at a time -- starting with the left-most, and skipping any zeroes. Use the Roman numerals that you need; they add together. If you need to repeat a Roman numeral more than three times in a row...well, don't. Use the next higher numeral, preceded by what would needed to be subtracted from it. (So, if you see a lower Roman numeral before a larger one, it needs to be subracted from it when you're converting back.)

That's the gist. Got it? (If you did, then you probably already understood Roman numerals!)

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then an example is probably worth at least that many, too.

I think I'll convert the number 2,984. Taking one digit at a time (with it's power of 10):

2000 = MM
900 = CM (not DCCCC)
80 = LXXX
4 = IV (not IIII)
Final answer = MMCMLXXXIV

Phew! That's a lot of letters! Now, aren't you thankful for the numbering system that we really use?

No comments: