Monday, April 19, 2010

By the Numbers (Roman, that is)

Here are some more examples of Roman numerals, with a little bit of "me" thrown in. I hope that I don't goof up....

XLVII = I will soon be this old (47)

CMLII = number of pages in the John LeCarre trilogy (952)
CCCXVIII = number of pages I have left to read (318)

XLV = Lew's "Sleep Number" (45)
XCV = my "Sleep Number" (95)
(These are out of 100, so thank goodness for the "Sleep Number" bed!)

MMX = the current year (2010)
MMIV = year Red Sox 1st won World Series in my lifetime (2004)
MCMLXXXI = year the Batgirls graduated from high school (1981)

III = number of children that my parents have (3)
III = number of above children that are girls (3)

DXIX = this example is just for kicks (519)

MDCLXVI = Roman numerals in decreasing order (1666)

(Postscript: This was my last post dedicated to Roman numerals. I've enjoyed it, and I hope you have, too. If not, then too bad -- it's my blog. LOL!)

1 comment:

Kim said...

You, my sweet friend, are a mathaholic! That being said, I enjoyed the review of the ol' Roman numbering system. I find it used sometimes on copywrite dates and such. It's fun to try to decipher 1963, etc!