Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dad 209: Lilacs and Strawberries

(I think my father is making fun of my cat in today's post. Enjoy reading it anyway! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Another beautiful summer day here in the Northeast. We've really had a nice stretch of summer weather. A bit muggy at times, but a shower later today is supposed to drop the dew point to a marvelous level for the remainder of the week.

I've had a busy morning. I should have written this earlier but I got involved in some outdoor tasks. First I went to our local recycling area to drop a truck load of brush -- $20 worth to be exact. You see, Lew trimmed up a bunch of bushes the other day, and my neighbor pulled an invasive plant out of our lilac trees. These lilac trees were bushes when we arrived here forty years ago. They have been attacked by an invasive plant over the past four or five years. My answer to this plant would be to cut down all the bushes. My neighbor doesn't want this to happen for privacy reasons. So I'll try to take care of all these plants so they don't meet a slow death as they get strangled. (Personally, I don't have a fondness for lilacs. I don't like their looks; I don't like their smell. I would rather they were all cut down and made into grass. Much easier to mow. But I'll do my best to keep them alive.)

Also did a little gardening today. Lew has about 10 strawberry plants he planted in our front lawn garden. Well today I weeded out the grass and watered and fertilized the plants. They actually have some berries on them! But I don't think they will be good for a shortcake this season. (Probably never.) While I weeded I was being watched by the eyes of Jerry, the huge cat. He watched me all the time I was in the yard as he was lying in the window against the screen. Believe me, he filled up the space. There was no extra room in the window.

Spent a little time spraying Roundup and replacing reflectors on our mailbox post. A real productive morning as I sit out here on Lew's porch writing this.

Now to my tuna with Pepper. We missed our Tuesday's tuna, so I must not miss another day this week.

Here I come, Pepper! Soo....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: