Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Dad 208: Kents Hill 1964 Reunion

(I was born during my parents' time at Kents Hill, and I am told my earliest babysitters were the people Dad mentions by name below. Enjoy his post! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Another hot, muggy day is on schedule for the Northeast. The third such day in a row. Two days ago was so hot I decided to install our air conditioner for the season. I'm sure it will come in handy.

A week ago Saturday I traveled to Kents Hill School. Spouse and I started our working married life at Kents Hill in the fall of 1961. We spent five years at Kents Hill; four of them were very enjoyable. (The last one not so much fun.) I taught math and coached basketball along with other private school duties. Spouse supervised in the dorm while serving as coach in various sports, enjoying an undefeated season with her archery team.

The reason for my return was to take advantage of a request from the graduating class of 1964. I met up with a couple other staff members, one of which I hadn't seen since 1966. My return was very enjoyable. I must admit I didn't recognize the campus. The new buildings and renovations were stunning. I'm sure many small colleges would enjoy such a setting. A good time was had by all.

Some of the Kents Hill 1964 class have been contributors to the school in its building program. The athletic building is named for Harold and Ted Alfond. Ted graduated in 1964 and quarterbacked an undefeated football team. He was also a member of our undefeated basketball team. There is a large building overlooking the ski hill and the name of that complex is for 1964 graduates Richard O'Connor and Joanne (Bass) O'Connor, who became a couple from their attending Kents Hill School. Students giving back is such a pleasure to observe. Fine people! I sure enjoyed my time spent with them 50 years later.

Interestingly enough I received another invitation to a 45th reunion. This was from the 1969 graduating class of Sanford High School. Sanford was my high school and I returned there to teach for four years in the late 60s. Regrettably, I will not be able to attend this reunion.

It seems I'm at the age where the classes look up all the surviving staff members to come to their reunions. The number of survivors seems to reduce itself rapidly. I'm happy to be available, even though I can't always show up at the events. Availability is wonderful!

Enough for now! Sooo.....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: