Friday, November 5, 2010

See You Later, Nana!

My brother-in-law Glen's paternal grandmother passed away on Monday of this week.  She was a spunky 92 years old.  Her name was Gert (short for Gertrude), but we all called her "Nana."

Nana was in the long-term-care wing at the same facility where Lew's mom is currently in rehab.  So I've dropped in on Nana a few times recently.  The last time I saw her was late last week.  She recognized me, but I could tell she still wasn't exactly sure who I was.  Her nurse was in the room, so I loudly explained to the nurse my connection to Nana.  When I mentioned Glen's name, Nana pointed to the photos of Josh and Zack that were displayed in her room.  Her eyes lit up and she smiled.

On her 80th birthday, Nana held a new-born Joshua.  Yes, her first great-grandson had been born on her birthday.  (And interestingly enough, Zachary was born on his mother's paternal grandmother's birthday -- that is, on Derf's mother's birthday -- although my Grandma Gowen never got to meet her great-grandsons.)

Nana was a greeter at her church for many years.  She handed out the bulletins as people arrived.  Josh and Zack explained to people that "Nana guards the door at church!"

Nana and my father (the aforementioned Derf) had an interesting relationship.  It was just over a year-and-a-half ago (on Valentine's Day) that she and Dad, both tired of waiting for a birthday cake to be cut into, decided to start eating it on their own.  Nana walked over to the cake and carried it back to where she and my father had been sitting.  They both had forks and they started to dig directly into the cake!  This was not as malicious as it may sound.  Josh and Zack had decided that their new dog, Sadie, was born on Valentine's Day.  So, my sister Debbie threw a birthday party for the dog and invited the whole family.  Nana and Dad figured that Sadie would not be too upset about the lack of pomp and circumstance surrounding the consumption of her cake.

Have a wonderful time in Heaven, Nana!  And as Debbie wrote on Facebook:

We won't say good-bye because as her great-grandsons Josh and Zack learned you never say good-bye you always leave her by saying "See you later." So, "We love you and we'll see you later Nana!"

Nana and "her boys" on Mothers Day 2004
(son Bob, grandson Glen, and great-grandsons Josh & Zack)

No comments: