Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Dad: Unedited XX

(Three big days in a row.  Yesterday was Nana's memorial service, which Dad comments on in today's post.  I wrote about Nana on November 5th and included a photo.  Today is my sister Debbie's birthday.  I wish her a "Happy Birthday" and I'm sure that Derf and "spouse" do, too -- she is their daughter, after all!  And then tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  I pray that you have a blessed day.  Enjoy Dad's post.  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!

Yesterday we said "See you later" to 'Nana' Reed.  Nana was 92 and was Glen's grandmother and Josh's & Zack's great-grandmother.

I had the honor of singing at her "life celebration service."  It was an uplifting time as stories were told of her long life.  There were laughs, tears, and all sorts of emotions.

Interesting to me was I arrived home and my new "Singing News" came in the mail.  "Singing News" is the printed voice of Southern Gospel music.  As I flipped through the pages I was challenged to finish this line: "What a day that will be...".  Well, one of my songs for Nana finished the line:  "...when my Jesus I shall see."  I thought this a strange coincidence (perhaps not) that I had sung this song which was written over 50 years ago by a veteran of the Korean War after returning home to a mother-in-law who was very ill.

Jim Hill said that he held the pen while the words came to his mind faster than he could write them down.  Jim wrote:

There'll be no sorrow there,
no more burdens to bear.
No more sickness, no more pain,
no more parting over there.

Jim Hill said, "God wrote the song -- I just held the pen."  I believe it!

Several years ago I saw Jim Hill as he sang tenor with J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet.  A third singer in that group was Jimmie Blackwood (James' son) and the piano player was Tony Brown as I recall.  They appeared in concert at the Portland, Maine Exposition Building.  An incident at that concert made an impression on me.  J.D. Sumner was considered the lowest bass singer in the world.  He and the Stamps Quartet travelled with Elvis Presley as a backup group for several years.  Elvis even gave J.D. a new bus.  I could write another blog naming several well-known gospel singers associated with Elvis.  The stories are endless.  Elvis was a fan of gospel performers.

Back to my J.D. story.  While we were listening to the Stamps there was a small child running around in the bleachers and he was making much noise.  J.D. stopped in the middle of a song and admonished the boy and the parents.  "People paid good money to hear me sing and it would help if you controlled your child."  Back to the song without interruptions.  I believe sister Deborah was at this concert but I could be mistaken.

Gospel songs are important to me.  I have a series of gospel songs I sing while in the shower (Standing in the Shadows You'll Find Jesus; He Holds My Hands; I Know the Lord Will Make a Way for Me).  None of these have the message that "What a Day" has, in my humble opinion.  I was privileged to sing this (along with "The Old Rugged Cross") for Nana.

Nana -- We'll see you later!

To the rest of you -- Happy Thanksgiving!

Toodle Pip!  Derf!

No comments: