Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hiding His Word In My Heart

I did a little presentation in church several weeks ago about daily Bible reading and prayer.  I mentioned that I was going to try to "systematically seek to memorize Scripture" this year.  And because I said it out loud -- in front of the entire congregation -- I decided that I had better do it.

Since that day I have committed 18 verses to memory.  The idea is to review them every day at first, and then work down to once a week, once a month -- all while adding NEW verses each week.

I have a specific memory verse guide that I'm following.  (You can check it out HERE.)

I decided to use the English Standard Version of the Bible.  I take regular-sized index cards, cut them in half, and then write out the verses.  I store the cards in a little zippered case, which I can throw in my purse.

It's a lot of work, and I admit that I have faltered a bit in keeping up with the review process.  But yesterday I made a discovery that I think is going to help....

A few weeks ago I wrote about my return to ellipticalization and how I liked listening to my iPod more than watching TV.  Well, my big discovery was that my memory-verse cards fit perfectly in the little compartment on my elliptical machine!  So now I can review while exercising.  :)

Moving my weary bones while reflecting on God's Word....  Can't beat it!

No comments: