Thursday, April 19, 2012

If He Can Do It...

I have a routine doctor appointment tomorrow morning, and I just know they are going to make me step on the scale.  I will step on it backwards and beg to remain ignorant.

As I was contemplating all of this earlier today, I asked myself, "Why do you eat and exercise so that you can try to look like a 22-year-old super model?"

There are a couple things wrong with my question.  First of all, I really don't follow a strict diet and exercise regimen.  So saying that I'm trying to look like a 22-year-old super model is a bit of an exaggeration.  (Okay, a major exaggeration.)  Secondly, I have never looked like a 22-year-old super model  -- even when I was 22 -- so the question is absurd right from the get-go.

After going through all of this thinking, I reminded myself that in less than two weeks -- two weeks! -- I will be celebrating my 49th birthday.  So what should I expect of myself, really?  Maybe I can relax a bit when it comes to exercising.

Then I read about Jamie Moyer.  Have you heard of him?  He's a 49-year-old baseball player who just set a Major League Baseball record on Tuesday by becoming the oldest pitcher to ever win a game.

And with that news, I headed for the elliptical machine.

No comments: