Tuesday, April 3, 2012

One and Done

I stayed up late last night in order to watch the end of the Kansas vs. Kentucky game.  Because I lived in Kansas several years ago, I was rooting for Kansas to win.  But even with a "too little, too late" comeback effort, they were never really in the game.

Three of the five starters for Kentucky were freshman.  The other two were sophomores.  When I asked my father about this, he explained that Kentucky's basketball program is a "One and Done."  That is, most of those kids will not be playing in college next year... they'll be in the NBA.

So basically Kentucky's team is close to NBA-caliber.  This reminded me of the 1980 "Miracle on Ice", when the college boys on the U.S.A. hockey team beat the professional Russian team in the Olympics.  Except there was no miracle for Kansas last night.

This also explained why the guys on the Kentucky bench all looked like they could have been plucked out of a calculus class.  No basketball skills required, because they were never going to have to play.

One and done....
It just ain't fun.

No comments: