Thursday, January 5, 2012

To Each His (or Her) Own

Lew and I were visiting with some friends on New Year's Eve when the topic of the "worst song ever" came up.  I found a list online of the 100 worst songs (I can't remember according to whom) and read them out loud to everybody.

I then mentioned a song that I always felt was over-rated.  The song?  "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues.  Now, I don't dislike the Moody Blues -- I am just not fond of that particular song.  Not fond at all.

When I was in grade school, I knew a girl that loved it.  She even got all googly-eyed and screamed during the "I love you" part.  All I could think was, "Really?"  (I wanted to scream, too -- out of boredom.)

Back to New Year's Eve:  The TV was turned to Music Choice -- the 70's channel, I think -- when Lew suggested changing it to Classic Rock.

Everyone started laughing after the channel was changed.  I looked up at the screen to see what song was playing.  Really?  I couldn't believe it.  What were the odds?!

The song had just started and someone turned the volume way up.  Everyone in the room that knew the song was singing along.  And, of course, it was the longer album version.

It was excruciating.

A college gal that was there said, "Gee, that really is a boring song."  I gave her a fist bump.

One of the guys later posted a YouTube link to the song on my Facebook wall.  Because he had gone to the trouble, I decided to try and watch it.  I made it through 57 seconds before I just couldn't take it any more.

To those of you that are not familiar with the song:  There are plenty of versions of it on YouTube.  But in my opinion, you are better off as you are.

1 comment:

Carole said...

So funny...and I don't think I am familiar with the song and hate to look it up on youtube for fear you'll find out! Great story!