Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dad 81: Greek god update

(I'm a little nervous about what's supposedly coming next week -- but I do have all editorial control over Mainely Tracy, so I shouldn't be too scared.  LOL!  In the meantime, enjoy Dad's post! -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  From the slightly snow-covered northeast coast.  Yes, we still have snow on the ground.  It is much less than one week ago due to the warm weather of the past few days.  It reached 50 degrees here two days ago.  And to think in one week we'll be in February.  Only a very short winter remains.

It is time for an update on my attempt to reach my "Greek god" physique.  On August 11, 2010 I wrote about my doctor's visit.  My large body of 300 pounds earlier in the year had gone down by about 25 pounds prior to my visit.  However, I had gained a little heft and stepped on the scales at 283 pounds.  Doc told me I should lose some poundage.  This would help my blood pressure, verge of diabetes, and overall health.  I must admit that I felt fine.  My cholesterol has never been a problem.  I took my doctor's advice and started on my salads (yuk), burgers (no rolls) and various other non-goodies.  As I said in 2010, my world was upside down.  I was now eating food that I had frowned on.  It didn't seem fair.  But that's life.

Within a year I was down to mid-200s and I guess in better health.  I felt no difference.  However, blood pressure was better and I guess my blood sugar had improved.

I then had another appointment and weighed in at 265.  That was six months ago.

The reason I chose today to blog again about this issue is that I must go back and get my semi-annual physical within the next two weeks.  All the blood work will be done and I hope to pass all tests.

I have been very seriously exercising at least five times a week for 46 minutes on Lew and Tracy's elliptical machine.  The number 46 is a result of a 40-minute workout with a 3-minute warm up and 3-minute cool down.  I can't say I like it while I'm doing it, but when I have completed my training I'm happy.  The scale is now reflecting a weight of below 250.  Boy, will Doc be surprised.  His scales, however, will be a little more than our house scales.

This brings me to this point.  I am not ready for my picture to be published in my Speedo.  I'm not sure I'll ever get there.  Please be sure to look next week for a surprising picture.  Only "the Shadow" knows.  Enough said.  No more for today.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: