Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dad 78: The Cable Box Adventure

(Every now and then, I am right!  Enjoy Dad's post.  -- Tracy)

Derf Here!  From the Northeast Plantation at Pine Point Road, Scarborough, Maine.  It is very cold.  Temps were below zero degrees this morning.  Still no snow to plow.  The Chevy Silverado is stationary.  Just waiting for some snow.  No hurry, as far as I'm concerned.

The following is an account of my business activities with Time Warner (TW) Cable over the past six days.

Last Friday our cable box stopped recording.  Since we had to tend to some other business we took the cable box and I stopped in at TW to exchange for a new one.  Home we went and I thought our problem was solved.  I made all the proper connections.  When I turned on the cable box -- NOTHING.  It did not come on.  I swapped boxes within the home with no success.  All of a sudden the box responded and the TV was on (it was about 20 minutes before it came on).  So I switched boxes back to original TVs and the box wouldn't work for about another 20 minutes.

At the time I decided to keep the box.  Bad decision on my part.  The weekend was upon us.  The final week of the National Football League (NFL).  Well, after our flat screen was on for a while, the picture would scramble.  The only solution was to turn off the cable box for a while and keep checking until the picture was available again.  This went on throughout Saturday and Sunday.  All the while the bedroom TV acted as a backup.

My trip to TW on Monday was for naught.  Closed for Holiday.  I wanted a TV working in the living room. So, down to the motor home to fetch Kaelen's TV to our living room.  I hooked it up and was able to watch the Rose Parade in miniature.  Other programs were viewable but on a very small scale (about one-tenth of the flat screen's size).

Tuesday, with cable box in hand, off I go to TW again.  Returned home and hooked up the box.  It worked!  I was excited.  However, in the early evening, I decided to try some of the special features.  I found that the "pause" button would not work.  There was no reviewing what just happened on TV.  This is a necessity for reviewing great sport plays and various other reviewable scenes.  I decided then to trade the box in another day.  I told Tracy about this and she said I should call TW with my complaint.  I was sure this wouldn't work, but thought about it overnight.

Wednesday morning is upon us.  I decided to call TW.  After a series of questions from a computer-generated person (don't you hate that), I actually spoke with a real live human.  I told him of my problem and wondered if he could somehow make all the special features work via the land line.  He thought he could.  Our conversation lasted about ten minutes.  Suffice it to say all systems go!  I am amazed that he made all the corrective adjustments via land line.  Before our conversation ended he asked if I was told I should call the office to make sure the box was activated properly.  "No" was my answer.  I'll remember this next time I make a change.  Hopefully he'll tell all agents making exchanges to tell customers to call the office to activate the equipment up to its full potential.  Even I learned something in this transaction.  An old dog can learn new tricks.  I'm glad I took Tracy's advice.  Please don't tell her!  Promise!  Saved another trip on a cold day!  Success!

Through this process we set the machine to record two shows.  They seemed to record, but did not.  Hopefully this problem is also solved.  We'll find out tonight.

Everybody is now happy!  Especially moi!

A belated "Happy New Year!"

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: