Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

I learned about the first plane while getting out of my car in the parking lot at work.  I had just started my job the week before, and I didn't know the man who shared this news with me.  (I think he worked for the business that was upstairs from us.)

When I walked into our office, I told Pam (our office manager) what I had just heard.  She turned her radio on so that she could get more news.  At that point we thought it was just a tragic accident.

I went to my own desk to get to work.  Shortly after that Pam told me about the second plane.  Not an accident.

Our other three co-workers arrived.

My office neighbor, John, kept us up-to-date after that with the news of the Pentagon, the decision to ground all the planes, and the plane going down in Pennsylvania.  We heard about the towers falling.

All of the news that we got was via radio, as the Internet traffic that day was too clogged up.

Lew called me at one point to make sure that I was aware of what was happening.  My mother wanted to call me, but she didn't have my new work phone number yet.

When I got home that evening, I watched some of the TV coverage with Lew.  Stunned was (and is) an understatement.

Our country lost some amazing people that day.  I pray for their loved ones on this 10th anniversary.

No comments: