Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dad 64: Derf from Illinois - Week 1

(My sister Kim was the lucky typist today.  Mainely Tracy is becoming a family effort!  Enjoy Dad's post from afar.  --  Tracy)


Derf Here!

From the Midwest state of Illinois. We’ll be here until October 23rd or until we get thrown out. Spouse (Mary Lou) and I will be tripping home on Oct. 24th & 25th. It seems like a long time! It will go by fast – I promise!

Was able to attend Zack’s and Josh’s football games over the weekend. Josh’s team is improving but is having a tough time getting a win. Zack played up on the 6th grade team for a shut-out win. His 5th grade team had a great game. Leading 14 to 6 with about one minute left the opposition scored for a 14 to 12 score. The age of the kids requires a 2 pt. conversion try for each touchdown, as that age can’t kick the ball for an extra point. Their kickoffs average very few yards. Well, the opposing team thought they would run the ball on Zack’s side of the line. They tried but were met by Zack for no gain. Won 14 to 12!

Spouse and I left Maine about 5:12am on Tuesday, September 26th, for Illinois. Somewhere between Maine and Massachusetts there is one of my hubcaps. Where is it? The trip went well with a couple of exceptions. I tried to run a “Big Truck” off the road as it seems I didn’t clear him after passing. I lost speed going uphill and his horn did the trick. Then I was passing a double UPS truck when he thought he would move over as a car was parked on the side of the road. Well, with a little brake pedal and slowing down, trouble was averted. Neither incident was worth ruffling any feathers. We did lose a couple hours as we came upon a line of back-up traffic. The cause – an accident involving a lifeflight helicopter. We got detoured and eventually returned to the highway. The only problem was it was 2 hours later, 16 miles and only 2 miles up the road. The trip ended well! (Credit due to the navigator!) Kaelen, Kelsey and Cocoa met us on arrival. Kim and Joe got home later and we enjoyed our first day visit with them. In fact, Cocoa slept with us last night, right between us next to my chest. Good Doggie! (Tracy, don’t tell Pepper.) Now I must take the RV for a little tune-up before the trip to Indy for the wedding!

Last night ended on a downer. I didn’t abandon the Sox (Red) and watched them inflict wounds so deep they were fatal. I then watched as the Rays (Tampa Bay) beat the Yankees in extra innings. I will now root for the Detroit Tigers as I know the team’s head trainer (Kevin Rand). He was a student when I was teaching (1970’s) and I taught next door to his dad. Later we did a lot of basketball officiating together. Go Detroit!

I had planned on a future position as a prognosticator (psychic). Due to my record with the Sox, my future doesn’t look promising. I now retract my predictions for the Boston Celtics and the New England Patriots. I still will watch them but not with the intensity as in the past. It is, after all, only a game you know. You do know that, don’t you?

Getting things arranged for the wedding in 2 days soooo – Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

P.S. Now I must get someone to type this and send to Tracy!

Kelsey, Cocoa, and Kaelen


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo of the girls!

Pam