Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Football Field in My Hand

Lew went on a motorcycle ride with some folks from church this morning, so we didn't do our normal Saturday morning breakfast.  I had planned to sleep in, but then I learned that Zack had a football game.

So at 9:30 a.m. I got into the backseat of my parents' car and we were off to Saco.  Zack was playing in the 6th-grade game first.  He's only allowed to be in 12 plays, and I saw him make a great tackle!  His team won this game, 26-14.  (It was actually more exciting than the final score indicates.  Zack's team got a touchdown on a turnover right toward the end of the game.)

Zack changed into his "00" jersey for his 5th-grade game, and he was ready to go.  Unfortunately his team wasn't all that ready.  They ended up losing 22-8.  It was still fun to watch, though, and I'm glad that I went.  Zack played almost the entire game -- both on offense and on defense.  He's good!

A family friend's little girl was at the game.  Her name is Ella.  Her brother is on Zack's team, but she wasn't all that interested in watching him play.  She and I spent several happy minutes playing with clumps of grass.  Ella would place the grass in my hand and I would blow it off.  She found this quite amusing!  (I love seeing small children enjoy the simple things in life.  We old folks can learn a lot from them.)

I eventually taught Ella how to blow the clumps off of her own hand.  She wanted to hold onto the grass with her fingers, which obviously kept her from achieving "blowing" success at first!  But she did get it.

We had a delightful time.

No comments: