Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Me and My Shadow

I broke the news to Lew when we reached the turn-around spot on our beach walk yesterday:  "I have to pee!"

We had a mile and a half walk before we would reach a restroom.  So I made my announcement and picked up the pace.

I soon had a fairly large lead over my husband.

After walking about half-way back, I saw a mother and her little girl playing in the water.  I'm guessing the child was about three years old.  As I neared them, the little girl began running away from the water.  She looked intent on something.  Probably going to get a beach pail or a plastic shovel.

We reached the same point on the beach at about the same time.  And I quickly learned what the little girl was after . . . .

ME!

I was walking pretty quickly, and I think she found it fun to run behind me.  I turned around to make sure her mother was coming to get her.  She was -- although not as quickly as I hoped.  I had to stop.  I told the little girl that it was "fun to run with her" but now it was time to "go back to Mommy."

That sweet little girl smiled at me the whole time.  I pointed toward her mother, and she turned around and headed in that direction.

And I returned to my mission.

Until I heard tiny footsteps behind me.

Yep!  She was back!  Fortunately her mother was running after her this time.  I asked if I looked like someone the little girl knows.  Her mother laughed, but had no idea.  After I told them to enjoy the rest of their time on the beach, we finally parted ways.

I had lost valuable time.

But fortunately, this is a story in which everything comes out okay.  (Ha ha!  Get it?)

(Postscript:  Lew saw the entire episode with the little girl and her mother.  He figured they must have been friends of mine!)

No comments: