Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birds on the Beach

The past couple days have been lovely here.  Lew and I took a walk on the beach last night.  We enjoyed it so much, we went again tonight.

The birds that we see on the beach are very entertaining.  I especially like the "piping plovers."  I do not know much about birds, so our identification of them as "piping plovers" is based solely on the chart that is posted at the beach.

Piping plovers are very small and they move very quickly along the ground.  How fast?  If you dangle your hand loosely by your side and move your fingers as fast as you can.... Well, piping plovers are faster than that.  They are funny to watch.

I like to chase them.  Lew wonders if I am breaking some environmental law when I do that.  Please know that I have not harmed any piping plovers.

When one piping plover decides to fly, the whole flock tends to take off.  They look more like a "swarm" than a flock!  They land again pretty quickly, looking for food I guess.

The other birds that we see a lot on the beach are seagulls, of course.  Tonight a seagull landed near us and started making all kinds of noise.  I said, "Sorry that I have no pizza for you to steal!"  But then another smaller, slightly-duller-colored seagull landed near him.  They looked like they got along pretty well.   Ohhhhhh......

We did see another noisy seagull later on our walk.  I told him, "I hope you get the girl!"  And sure enough, another birdie flew in to join him.

And that is all I have to say about the birds on the beach.

No comments: