Friday, December 3, 2010

Jessica Simpson Meets Oswald Chambers

One of the three devotionals that I have been using this year is Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest.

Yesterday's devotion, titled "Christian Perfection," was based on Philippians 3:12.  OC (my shorthand for Oswald Chambers) wrote that Christian perfection is "the perfection of a relationship to God which shows itself amid the irrelevancies of human life."  Here's the sentence that I really zeroed in on as I continued reading OC's words:

"I am called to live in perfect relation to God so that my life produces a longing after God in other lives, not admiration for myself."

As I was thinking about this again today, it reminded me of the DIRECTV commercial that Jessica Simpson did a few years ago.  After she states that the HD broadcast is in 1080i, she goes on to say, "I totally don't know what that means, but I want it."

I believe that everyone has an innate "want" for God, despite the fact that they may not "totally" know what that means.  Does my life encourage others to discover their longing for Him?  And am I diligently asking God the following three questions:  Where are YOU?  What are YOU doing?  How can I help?

(Postscript:  The somewhat odd connection that I made with the commercial may be a result of my fuzzy head.  Have been fighting a cold.)

(Post-postscript:  The perfect lunch for a cold sufferer  -- Chinese food!  Mom's idea; Dad's drive.  Yummy.)

No comments: