Friday, December 10, 2010

A Most Excellent Adventure With Verlie

Shortly after 10:00 this morning, I helped spring my mother-in-law from "the joint."

She was released from "the big house."

Yes, Verlie was discharged from the rehab center and was able to go home....Finally!

She had been in rehab for vertigo, but it turns out that she may not have had this after all.  Her condition was probably caused by a stroke.  She has been working hard in rehab the last eight weeks, with no improvement in some areas.  But she is much stronger.  Hence, the "OK" to head home.

Verlie used the walker to get to my vehicle, although she was using it mostly for security purposes.  She was toodling right along.  We probably looked like a comedy duo getting her in the car, but we did succeed.  After a quick phone call to my brother-in-law Wayne (Verlie's younger son), we were off!

Wayne and Verlie live next door to each other.  (It's actually the same property.)  When we arrived, I noticed that the newspaper was still outside, so I stopped at the edge of the driveway to get it.  After I got back in the car, I saw that Sisqo was heading straight for us.  Sisqo is Wayne's dog.  I didn't want to hit him, so I got back out of the car to grab him.  He jumped in instead.  "Well," I thought, "at least I won't run over him this way."  So I got back in again and continued down the driveway, with Verlie and now Sisqo as my passengers.

Wayne walked over and helped his mom out of the car.  I entered the house with some of Verlie's stuff, and when I turned around she was already walking in behind me!  Toodling along.  No walker.

When I left, Verlie was working on her grocery list.  I guess she and Wayne were going to reinstate their weekly trip to Hannaford Supermarket this afternoon.  She doesn't really enjoy grocery shopping, but I could tell she was looking forward to it.  Well, kind of, anyway!

There's no place like home....

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so glad she was able to come home!!