Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dad: Unedited XXV

(Dad started writing the following post yesterday.  He finished it up today.  The reader will be able to determine the pace of the action....or lack thereof!  I have done my fair share of phone-sitting, so I can relate to my father's frustration.  Enjoy his post!  -- Tracy)

Writing a day early -- will finish tomorrow.

Derf Here!  From the snowbound Northeast!  Not quite!!

Well, we got our storm Sunday night through Monday afternoon.  I heard a know-it-all weather person tell us that the storm was to be the worst blizzard we'd seen since 2005.  How wrong was he?  Terribly wrong!

We received about 10-12 inches of snow with a lot of wind (which is still blowing).  The storm was, in general, a nor'easter and not even a serious one.  Great!

However, my Chevy pickup, which is my plow truck, is currently out of commission with a serious problem with its four-wheel drive mechanism.  My eight-foot plow (V and scoop) rests in front of the third garage bay looking nice by accomplishing nothing.  I hope to get my rig back today.  It will take me probably close to one hour to attach my 'minute mount' plow when my truck returns.

Well, it was necessary to plow our driveway to get the vehicles out.  So I called our grandsons' other grandfather (Bapa) for a favor.  Glen's dad (Bapa Bob) came to the rescue and made more than enough swipes down the driveway, enabling us to attach ourselves via vehicles to the rest of the world.  Life is good!

I do not want to sound like I'm complaining about the size of our storm.  I am happy it was less than predicted.  In fact, I could go from now until April without more snow and that would suit me just fine.  Upon reading the newspaper and seeing the news on television, the storm was much more severe south of us.  In fact, I saw reports of close to thirty inches of snow in some areas of New York & Jersey.  My comment:  "Better them than me."  I do hope the ski slopes receive a great depth of snow for a long and glorious ski season.  Just keep it less along the coast.  That's my request.

I'm taking a break from finishing this blog until I get my truck back (hopefully tomorrow).  At that time I'll finish the "storm through yard clean up" story.  That is if I don't pass out from the price to resurrect my truck.

The night has passed and Wednesday has arrived.

Noon now!

I just returned from a short excursion through Saco (where I saw my truck outside -- hopefully it is repaired) and checked out with the Old Orchard Beach Police and Department of Public Works to remove an abandoned couch left at sister Deb's cottage.  It will be taken care of as they were very cooperative.  Now I wait to hear from my truck.  I'm getting anxious.

Tracy just notified me that Glen called to tell her Lew's truck is ready to go so we'll pick that up today as soon as her exercises are over.  It is a busy day!  Lew's vehicle needed brakes and various other repairs.  Glen takes care of it at Patriot Subaru.

Time for my wonderful noon salad while I wait for truck call.

Salad's gone and no call.  I still wait.

Just picked up Lew's vehicle and now I'm waiting for a call.  I must meet my deadline, so I'll have to let you know about my truck adventure in next week's post.

I'm losing patience!  Or perhaps I've already lost it!!

Until next time,

Toodle Pip!  Derf.

P.S.  Still no call!  I still wait!

P.P.S.  I just received a call.  It seems that they didn't have the time necessary to find the fault.  It seems to be computer issue (connection, program, etc.).  Oh, joy!  Sounds expensive!!!  Maybe tomorrow!

No comments: