Thursday, December 23, 2010

Good News, Great Joy

Last night Lew and I went Christmas caroling with some other members of our church choir.  We visited two area nursing homes, and it was a joy to sing to these wonderful folks.  Actually, I should say sing WITH, as many of the residents sang along to the familiar tunes!

After singing in the lobby at one of the homes, we went to the dementia unit to sing a few songs.  One lady clapped practically the entire time -- in beautiful beat with the music.  Another lady assisted Melodie in directing us.

As we were leaving, I shook hands with the second lady while wishing her "Merry Christmas."  She would not let go of my arm.  I told her that I had to leave and she looked at me with her beautiful eyes and said, "Please don't go.  Stay with me."  I wish that I could have stayed with her longer, and I told her so.  A staff member eventually came over and facilitated my leaving.  As I walked out of the unit, I felt overwhelmed with emotion -- although the start of a new carol helped me overcome any tears.

I pray this lovely lady will someday live in Christ's presence, never to be lonely again.

Thank you, God, for the gift of your Son.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.  But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord...."
Luke 2 : 8-11  (NIV)

No comments: