Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dad: Unedited XXI

(I learned something about my mother from this post!  Ha ha!  Oh, and don't count this introduction as a paragraph....Enjoy!  -- Tracy)

Derf here after a very enjoyable and satisfying Thanksgiving day.  There were a minimum of fifteen relatives (extended family included) here to celebrate the day.  It was a very, very good day and the food and desserts were quite delicious.

In my last couple of posts I wrote of attending a gospel concert at the Portland Exposition Building and watching wrestling when television was in its infancy.  Combining these two events will be the main theme of this post.

Question:  "Has anyone out there been to an event where you didn't want to be recognized?"  Mind you, I'm talking about a legal and proper event.  Nothing shady at all.

I must point out that I am not a fan of professional wrestling.  I do know that the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) had to change its name to WWE (Entertainment) because the first WWF (World Wildlife Federation) forced the change.  I also know that the former CEO (Linda McMahon) of WWE ran for office in elections past in Connecticut.  She was defeated.  I would have voted for her had I lived in that state.

The Event:  I believe the year was the late 1970's.  Sister Jean and her family were spending their summer vacation at their cottage in Old Orchard Beach.  During these summers we would attend various programs and events.  We (brother-in-law Pastor Bob, his son Robert, and I) decided to attend a wrestling match.  So the Baptist preacher, his son, and I were off to the wrestling extravaganza.

Wrestling of this era consisted of midgets (male and female).  They were fun to watch and would run around very quickly and even would run under the ring and appear on the other side.  They were very entertaining.  The women's champion (The Fabulous Moolah) was quite a draw working into her 70's and, I believe, even her 80's.  Some of the well-known men were Haystacks Calhoun, Bruno Sammartino, Gorilla Monsoon, Captain Lou Albano, and George (The Animal) Steele.  "The Animal" would stand around like an animal chewing and slobbering on the ring ropes.  I heard that he was very intellectual, had a PhD and was a university professor.  He sure fooled a lot of people.  But not me!!

The headliner at our show was a massive tag team called "The Mongols."  They, I believe, wrestled at a later date under a different name.  I remember little about the matches we saw and can remember no winners/losers.  I do recall the following, however.  I had played, coached, and even refereed games in the EXPO prior to our appearance at the wrestling show.  Probably every other trip I made to the EXPO I would meet several people that I was familiar with.  I must admit, however, that I did not want to be recognized by anyone on wrestling night out.  I'm not sure if my companions cared if they were identified or not.  Fortunately my prayers were answered.  Not identified.  If ever I attend another wrestling show, I'll go in disguise!  Very good idea!

Please re-read the question of paragraph III.  I have!!

Before closing I must insert this story.  I was not going to add this tidbit but was coerced by spouse to do so.

While in attendance at the wrestling show, Pastor Bob told his son that son's Aunt Lou (Mary Lou - spouse) had been a professional wrestler.  Son Robert believed his dad until told the truth.  Was son impressed?  Probably!  It was all in fun.  They were good times.

Until next week,

Toodle Pip!  Derf.

No comments: