Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Official

I just googled "first day of winter 2010" and learned that it is tomorrow, December 21.

But I'm going with TODAY!

While much of the country has already experienced significant snowfall, us folks here in Southern Maine had received none to speak of -- just a few "spitting" events.

That has changed.

The sky was clear when I left the house around 2:00 this afternoon to run a few errands.  By the time I got home around 4:20, the snow had been falling for at least a half hour or so.  I could tell it would be more than a dusting.

Lew took twice as long to get home than he normally does.  He gets on the Maine Turnpike for part of his commute, and apparently cars were only going about 35 miles per hour.  He saw lots of cars that had gone off the road.

My father was listening to his scanner and heard that a town plow couldn't even get down a certain road due to the number of cars that needed to be pulled out by wreckers.  A lot of slipping and sliding on that road, I guess.

Yep!  Old Man Winter has arrived!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Wendy says she saw lots of cars off the road here last Friday as well. We had more snow last night as well. We're getting a real NE winter already. Hmmmmmm Happy Winter!