Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Am Resident

Several days ago the "Resident" at my address got a very official letter from the U.S. Census Bureau.  This letter informed the Resident that our household would be receiving a questionnaire in the mail for a "very important national survey, the American Community Survey."

The letter also informed the Resident that "your address" was randomly selected for this survey, and "not you personally."

Apparently this survey is going to be used "to meet the needs of communities across America."  For example, the survey will be used "to develop programs to reduce traffic congestion," among other things.

I have since received the survey.  I filled it out today.  It was 28 pages long.  After about an hour -- and three phone calls to my parents for information -- I had it done.  (You may be wondering why I called my parents instead of just walking over to their side of the house.  I'm wondering that, too.)

I really didn't want to take the time to complete this survey.  And it asked all sorts of nosy questions.  But U.S. law requires that I respond to it, so I obliged.  Fortunately, U.S. law also requires the Census Bureau to keep my answers confidential.  Thank you, U.S. law.

So the next time you are driving in reduced traffic congestion, please think of me.  I have, after all, been instrumental in meeting the needs of your community.

I humbly accept your gratitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha...this made me laugh, so thanks :) And thank you for helping to reduce traffic congestion. It's much appreciated in the middle of Kansas, ha ha :)

Melanie