Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thoughts on Eating

A former co-worker of mine loved (and probably still loves) running long-distance.  Our boss had a saying about this:  "He eats so that he can run; we run so that we can eat."

I love to eat.  But there are a few foods that I dislike, the major classification being seafood.  Blech!  (And, yes, I was born and bred in Maine.)

Actually, my whole family likes to eat.  In fact, we all ate out tonight to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  Their anniversary was actually on June 11, but being a little late doesn't stop us from celebrating (especially when eating is involved).

In her day, my mother could eat everyone under the table (and not gain an ounce, by the way).  Now she has just about every food intolerance known to mankind.  But, she does manage to find things to eat.  And she still sometimes eats things she shouldn't -- like the french fries at Josh's baseball game the other night.  (You could say that she pays for her food twice -- once when she buys it and then again after she eats it.)

There are some food items that my father dislikes eating.  Salad and any sort of vegetable come to mind.  He also doesn't like fancy food.  If it comes with a garnish, then he probably doesn't want it just on principle.

My husband is pretty much a meat and potatoes man as well.  And he likes spaghetti a lot.  He has the same aversion to seafood that I do.  (And, yes, he was also born and bred in Maine.)  When one of us cooks, it is usually Lew.  OK, it is always Lew.  Although I do make my sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My favorite (chocolate) thing (chocolate) to eat (chocolate) is....well, I'll let you guess!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Do you still make your chocolate chip cheesecake? I think You should publish the three recipes that I know you make! The stew, sweet potatoes and cheesecake. What do you think?