Monday, July 19, 2010

My Afternoon Nap

Today was my annual physical exam.

The doctor's appointments were backed up by "a bit," so I had to wait in the waiting room for several minutes.

When the doctor's-assistant-girl called my name, I got to go have my blood pressure taken, finger pricked, and all that good stuff.  I knew that I had gained a little weight since my last appointment (still blaming the leg surgery!), so I stood backwards on the scale while the assistant wrote down my weight.

Then I was shown into the exam room.  I "dressed" for my exam and then sat on the exam table.  Looked around for a few minutes.  Thumbed through a couple magazines.  (In one of them I read that there is no definitive, absolute way of doing nothing.)  I was getting a little tired, so I propped myself up by putting my hands on the table and I closed my eyes.  After doing this for a while, I was afraid that I might fall asleep and fall off the table.  I leaned back so that I was essentially lying down.  My legs were dangling over the end, but I was pretty comfortable.

And this was how my doctor found me.  I never did fall asleep, but I came close.

She apologized for the wait.  She later showed me how the end of the table pulls out.  I could have put my legs up and been completely prone....I am SO doing that the next time!

(Postscript:  Hopefully, I won't have to wait as long next year.  I will attempt to be the first appointment in the morning or the first after lunch.  Nobody else thinks of doing that, I bet.)

No comments: