Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dad: Unedited II

(Tonight Dad handed me four pieces of yellow lined paper!  I got blogger's elbow typing this.  And I heard that my sister Kim disputes Dad's account of the "incident."  Enjoy! -- Tracy)

Hi again, "MT" fans!!

I was asked if I would write one of my million stories of yesteryear for "MT" today.  Foolishly I agreed to do it.

However there was an incident that occurred today that I must tell you about.

My day started (midnight) with spouse not feeling well.  It could be a letdown from Josh's baseball loss last night or the french fries consumed at the game.  Perhaps neither was the cause, but I digress.  I do know that I looked at the clock and it said 3:00 a.m.  The next time the clock was looked at, it was 8:50 a.m.  I decided to rise up and face the day.  Spouse was feeling better!  The day is looking good!

Shortly after rising, Joe, Kim, and Kelsey arrived with Cocoa.  Cocoa comes here for "doggie day care" and I have him on a weight-gaining program.  It seems to be working.

Within minutes, Debbie, Josh, and Zack showed up to take Kim and Kelsey to the beach.  They left to pick up Nathan and off to the beach they went.  Joe had a dinner appointment at the Olive Garden with several of his classmates from years ago.  They meet every year for this lunch.  I might add here that "OG" is not a favorite place to eat for me, nor was it for my mother!

Eventually all returned to the house and the "incident" happened.

It seems that Mary Lou bought some pork loins for dinner.  The weather report for the day was possibility of "severe" thunderstorms.  (Never happens when warned.)  As a result of the "severe" storms possibility, Mary Lou & Kim decide to grill the loins on Uncle Lew's grill out on the deck.  Kim claims to have knowledge of grilling but I have trouble believing.  Kim lit Lew's grill and Mary Lou put the loins on the grill.  Joe had settled in for a nap in the recliner and I had settled in (after a couple of "Raymond" reruns) to an afternoon Red Sox game.  Nice and relaxing -- so I thought.

I sat there watching our 42-inch HD LED TV when I looked out the window toward the grill.  The grill was not visible as it was surrounded by smoke.  The smoke show was better than most NASCAR burn-outs after winning the race.

I sat watching the game while calling on Kim and company to fix the problem.  She woke Joe up to take care of business.  I called the local fire department and told them that if they received any calls about a forest fire in the area it would not be necessary to leave the barn.  The lid was lifted and fire shot out at least to the top of the house.  Joe managed to bat the fire down and save the loins.  They are now back on the grill and smoke free.  Donations will be accepted to buy Uncle Lew a new grill.  (Kidding.)

Cocoa is resting well through all of the commotion, while Pepper continues to stay under the bed while Cocoa visits.  Think about that.  You are "Pet of the House" for 10+ years and an intruder arrives (Cocoa).  You are now stuck hiding in a room while the intruder has the run of your space.  Poor Pepper!

Hopefully the loins will be edible in an hour or so....

The overcooked (burned) loins are now done!!  I think I'll go to Old Orchard for pie (pizza) and fries (Pier fries).

The story is over and perhaps you have guessed that "MT" pays me by the word!!!

The Red Sox are down 3-1.  (It's going to be a long year!)

So long -- I'll be back.

P.S.  Kim did cut up the loins.  However, upon eating them, it was decided that the seasoned loins were too salty.  Mary Lou said, "I'll never buy these again."  I hope she remembers that statement.

P.P.S.  The "severe" thunderstorms did come through.  Tornado warnings accompanied them.  Heard that a couple tornadoes touched down.  The meteorologists were correct!  Three cheers for them!!!  Before the storm my sister Deborah arrived from her Old Orchard camp and sat in the recliner with eyes closed and ears covered!  A real brave "Mainiac."  Tracy and Lew were at the mall during the tornado warning.  I believe at Sears.  WHAT A DAY!!

No comments: